Kids have left summer holidays behind and are well into meeting new peers and teachers. This transition can be overwhelming mentally, emotionally and physically. Big changes, new rules, adjustments to environment, interacting/sharing germs and the need of more sleep are all things affecting our little ones. Keep yourself and your children healthy providing structured bedtimes and by taking a good quality Multivitamin, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin D, and a Probiotic. We also have many great herbals for both adults and children to help protect as well as fight off any respiratory infections that have invaded into the system.
Metal is the element for Fall. It is governed by the Lung organ. It is the transition from the warmth of summer (Fire Element) into the coolness of the autumn air (Earth into Metal Element) that wreaks havoc on the Lung organ. The cool wind that stirs during these months can weaken our Lung Qi with a healthy diet and lifestyle, let alone a compromised one. We can assist this system heading into the new school year through diet, acupuncture, gua sha, cupping and herbals. Maintenance and protection treatments are recommended for those who are immune compromised. Come in for an immune-boosting treatment this week!
A few things to do to stay healthy and boost Lung Qi over the next few months:
- Structured bed time, children need 10-12hrs of sleep depending upon their age, teenagers may even need more. Adults need an average of 8-9hrs per night.
- Quality food with an increase in cooked vegetables and starches. Going into fall our meals should consist largely of easily digested complex carbohydrates like grains and starchy root vegetables, 30-40% of the diet should be comprised of cooked vegetables and only 10-20% of protein.
- Foods specific for building Lung Qi: cooked whole grains, oats, roasted barley, sweet rice, spelt, pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, corn, parsnips, daikon radish, chickpeas, black beans, walnuts, chicken, chicken, beef, lamb, garlic, turnip, shitake and oyster mushrooms.
- Foods to restrict or avoid: salads, raw fruits, citrus, wheat, sprouts, wheat grass, raw vegetables, tomatoes, dairy, high oil products, overly sweet foods, refined sugars, ice cream, ice water, slushies.
- Stay away from too much cold raw food or cold drinks. They are very hard on our spleen and stomach. It can cause cold damage creating poor digestion which results in a weak immune system.
- Stay away from any unnecessary sugar. One teaspoon of sugar decreases the immune system by a whopping 50%!
- Wear scarfs or high collared sweaters/jackets on windy days, keep the front and back of the neck covered.
- Bring your kids in to learn the Wellness Massage that will keep the immune system strong.